Wednesday 10 September 2014

Design thinking


I've really been looking forward to this course. Digital design is something I've been thinking a lot about, but really need a chance to apply it and get feedback.


I'm not the biggest fan of electronic music, but I recently bought the Daft Punk album Random Access Memory.  While listening to music, at times, I think about the design behind it.  This song in particular really flows well for me, I can follow the progression, and even though I don't like every aspect of this song, I know why and how they all fit in.  The whole song seems very purposeful. It also tells a story, sometimes with words, sometimes with beat, sometimes with other tones. I understand (somewhat) the construction behind it. This course on digital design seemed to relate well to my thoughts on this blog. 

Part of the reason I created my personal blog, instead of my Coetail blog was I could change the actual layout of the blog. I had more options and more opportunities to create something more personal. I like how I can change the background, I have more influence over how wide my reading space is, I can change the labels easily and just totally customize it (if I want to).  I found the Coetail blog a little too limiting. 

Personal Blog

I chose clouds for both because it makes me feel at peace. I chose lots of white and blue and grey on both blogs for the calm feeling. I wanted to create a place for thought and relaxation. Something comforting. It also matches the background to my twitter page, which creates a sense of continuity. 

Coetail Blog

I realise there's a lot more to do with the creation, and during this course I hope to make some more changes.  Right now I feel comfortable with the design of my blog, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about it when I first started it. In the future, I think I'm going to change my header to make it a little more readable, and look more closely at the widgets to make sure that's how I want everything organised. 

Last year I taught a lot about digital design with the young ones. Instead of CRAP design I changed it to PARC, just to solve a lot of laughing issues.  We talked extensively about the colour wheel, typography and the types of decisions designers made, and thankfully I noticed a huge difference in their slide presentations. 

So far this year I've talked about the importance of colour with my grade 3 students. We are using Google docs and i want them to think about how to engage their audience (or seriously disengage their audience) by choosing different colours.  It's a slow start, but we are thinking about it. 

I thought the Visual Literacy blog could've used a design re-haul as well.  I've been thinking a lot about how Nicki needs more free reign in this course and how great it would be to understand "art" as much as she does (just slightly jealous). 







No comments:

Post a Comment