Thursday 26 February 2015

Stopping consumerism in the Classroom

http://savedbythe-bellhooks.tumblr.com/
Well this Saved by the Bell Hooks tumblr site has me pretty intrigued. I wonder about this all the time, especially regarding tech.

So many teachers (it seems like anyway) are focused on what apps to use for learning, and so many of these apps (it seems like) are about consumerism, or button clicking or "gamification" that involves little learning.  I fully want students to create and connect, not just consume. I want them to create for freedom, and to help them become full participants in our society. 

So, I need to really think about how I'm modelling these traits in my own learning journey.  I think this ties nicely into environmental education too, because most people know about climate change but not many people are taking meaningful action (myself included most of the time) to become the change. I'll be focusing on this through our community building activities online this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment