Sunday 3 November 2013

Habit Forming?

It's been really easy for me to form bad habits. Unconsciously I just do whatever and soon it's too easy to stay in that rhythm, as long as it isn't too good for me.  The things I want to do, running, blogging, etc. have been harder habits for me to form.

I wish I was better at remembering but I was reading/listening to something recently where the presenter was talking about how teachers use the idea that students are easily distracted because of access to technology as an easy way to explain why the students weren't successful in class.  The presenter said it was our duty to work harder to inspire our students to work harder to stay focused, and that there is a sense of accomplishment in staying focused. So, I know that it is crucial for me to stay focused in order to do this, but I find it so difficult.

I'm at an EARCOS conference in Bangkok right now, and many of the speakers and presenters are saying the same thing in different forms, and I feel like I say the same things to my students (and was told the same things by my teachers) but still forming those good habits are so elusive.

I want to make sure that students are blogging about the environment and their place in it this year.  I feel like this will be essential for their learning.  By sharing their thoughts, writing about a place that is close to them, and communicating with others about their places, I think they will also develop a greater sense of community in the international world.

So any good habit forming tips? How do I keep myself accountable? I'm working with some people to make sure I keep to my goals, I guess community is important, but any other ideas are very welcome.




2 comments:

  1. Psychology Today has a simple one page article on the predictable steps you must go through to change a habit. It's as simple and difficult as recognize, motivate yourself, fail, make the change again , and keep repeating until your neural pathways have formed it into a part of who you are: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/changepower/201205/succeed-habit-change-one-page-book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This was a great help, I think I'm in the stumbling area, so it's nice to know I'm on the right track.

      Delete